- Douglas C/N 9358
- Ordered by the USAAF as C-47A-20-DL
- USAAF S/N 42-23496
Delivered to the USN as a R4D-5 on 8 April 1943
- Assigned to NATS 1944
- Assigned to VR-7 in August 1944
- Assigned to VR-3 in June 1945
- Assigned to NAS Jacksonville, FL in June 1946.
- Assigned to the Naval Reserve at NAS Minneapolis, MN in 1947
- Assigned to NAS Olathe, KS in 1948
- Stored at at Naval Aircraft Storage Facility Litchfield Park, AZ in 1948
- Assigned to VX-6 as #8, landed at the South Pole on 31 October 1956
- Presented to the Smithsonian Institute in December 1958
- Disposition: On loan from the Smithsonian and on display at National
Naval Aviation Museum Pensacola, FL.